Sunday, August 4, 2024

A Day of Rest

One of my favorite films, Chariots of Fire, has messages that have inspired me ever since I first saw it.  Released in 1981, it tells a true story of British runners who won medals in the Olympic Games of 1924 in Paris.  Eric Liddell, champion and son of a Christian preacher, refused to compete on the Sabbath Day. (Main message.)  Instead, he humbly preached a sermon to a church congregation and quoted Isaiah 40:31 in the Old Testament:
“they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.” (Another powerful message.)  His example in competition inspired hope in others to never give up. (A third message helping me manage old age.)

Sunday has not always been a restful day for me.  In The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we have opportunities to serve on “the day of rest”, as well as other days.  For some leaders, the Sabbath is a full day with work of the Lord helping others find peace.  I like to think it’s a refreshing change from other days of work and play.  As a young student, I followed my father’s example (his Harvard years) of never doing school study or homework on Sunday, although I admit it was sometimes my excuse for procrastinating until early Monday morning.  The habit helped me get good grades, however, by giving me confidence in divine guidance.  Without doubt, I felt it and made the habit part of my working career. 

Those who are required to work on the Sabbath can feel peace in knowing our loving Heavenly Father understands.  So, whatever your situation or idea of rest is, enjoy Sunday as a special, extraordinary day.