Sunday, February 6, 2011

Sincere Repetitions

Most weeks I make a little progress in this year's reading of the New Testament; (obviously speed is not my priority here, but I promise to do better.)  Reviewing the Sermon on the Mount, I paused at one verse --
Matthew 6:7 "when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do ..."  Though I've read it many times, a different interpretation came to my mind --one which maybe never before occurred to me.

It's almost embarrassing to think of how frequently I have repeated many phrases since I started praying as a little boy.  My good friend recently told me his son Adam (age 8) frequently thanks Heavenly Father for what He will do for the family --in the future; (I wish my faith were that strong.)  Today I realize the value of sincere, humble, needed, meaningful repetitions in daily prayer, such as, "I love Thee."  As it relates to my thought about the language of prayer, I share an experience from my teenage years:

Many times throughout my adult life, I have recalled Bob Darger's simple, childlike manner of praying in church meetings.  It made a profound impression on me, and still does to this day. If his prayers included repetitions, I'm sure they were never vain.  Brother Darger was my Sunday School teacher when I was ~fourteen.  Bob gave us homework and a three-ring binder to keep it in; no one else ever did that.  He had a wonderful, talented family, and owned his own business with a one-man office in downtown SLC.  I think Bob lived a simple life, was always smiling, and probably never made an enemy.  He was truly a humble servant of God and his family.  I doubt that we rowdy guys appreciated his unique teaching style and sweet love for the Savior.  So teachers of teenagers, take heart -- 40 years later a student may look back and have an aha! moment because of you.

Thinking back on our quiet walk through the Sacred Grove in Palmyra, NY,
I believe a boy used simple language in his humble prayer.