Tuesday, May 3, 2011

"You know, it's me"

This one has to be like really fast food for my 10-minute break.  I just couldn't wait to vent my feelings about a couple of things, so I don't lose sleep tonight.

To radio and TV interviewers' questions, I frequently hear answers that begin with, "You know, ...".  Whenever I hear that, I automatically respond, as if I were the person asking the question, "No, I don't know -- that's why I asked!"  So much for "talking heads".  (Yes, I recognize incomplete sentences.)

The gentlemanly "Hey, ... it's me" ad on TV this morning reminded me of my longing for the good old days (50 years ago?) when proper English grammar was important and acceptable -- even in advertising.  And so much for that.  I guess "this is us" now.  (Ouch -- it still hurts, nevertheless.)