Sunday, December 23, 2012

Christmas Choirs


This one’s for music lovers.  As Christmas music has blessed my life this season, an early-morning pause before choir practice brought to mind some great choirs I’ve enjoyed in the past, and a heavenly choir I’ve read about, which blessed the scene of our Savior’s birth.  On the first day of this special week, I decided to share a few, including some results of a survey I took among several friends at church. 
My question: What are two favorite choirs you sang in or listened to at Christmas time?

I first tested this on my wife Kay, the Primary song leader, as I interrupted her preparation of children’s songs.  Without hesitation, she agreed with my suggestion: East High School A Cappella Choir, which reminded me of Christmas performances I loved with my EHS choir directed by the legendary Lorraine Bowman.  With further thought, Kay would have mentioned the local high school choir our daughters sang in; recently we enjoyed their concert (with orchestra) which ended with a thrilling rendition of the Hallelujah Chorus from Messiah (1742) by Handel (1685-1759).  The annual concert always brings joy to us ... and to the performers, I am certain.
One young brother at choir practice named the Weber State University LDS Institute Choir he was in years ago, which reminded me of my U of U Institute choir.  (We toured the Northwest while I was dating my future wife, Kay.)  Having recently returned from military duty in the Middle East, he recalled his men’s choir at church in Afghanistan, which also performed at a Christmas party.  A very young brother who leads the choir in our ward (congregation), named the Mormon Tabernacle Choir as his favorite (also one of mine, since Mother was a member of it when I was little.)  He also wrote for me (as the bishop was starting the meeting): “singing in ward choirs.”  Sweet!

The jacket of an LP (with a 50-cent DI price tag) found in our basement “archive” lists the members of the Brigham Young University A Cappella Choir 1980, including Brenda Boyer, Cherie Crosby (any relation to Kay’s Crosbys?) and Loralyn Tenney (must be related to my great grandmother Eliza.)  And in the men’s section: Dale Bowman (related to Lorraine?) and Clark Searle (reminds me of my sister’s jazz piano teacher.)  Among other sacred songs, they recorded “Come, O Thou King of Kings” (appropriate at Christmas time) with trumpets and organ.  I’d like to listen to the album this week for the first time!

One album I am sure must exist (not searched yet) is one to go along with Kay’s CD, "Angel Voices -- Libera in Concert" recorded May 30 & 31, 2007 in a Netherlands cathedral; (pronounced with accent like liberate.)  I haven't heard their Christmas music, but it’s on my wish list.  The boys’ choir provides a heavenly listening experience that would lift anyone’s spirit this season.
There’s more I could add here, but this will do for a fast one.  Suffice it to say, “I’m crazy about choirs!”  So … Merry Christmas, and have a happy choir experience!