Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thank-You Notes

Random thoughts on gratitude at Thanksgiving time:

A gratitude journal can be like thank-you notes to Heavenly Father.
[Copied from mine:] 1/1/2009  I expressed gratitude for Kay … two beautiful [daughters’] weddings in 2008.
11/11/2012  I'm thankful for my sweetheart Kay, our family, home …
5:35 AM 11/27/2012  Grateful for God's gift of life.
12/10/2012  Thankful for good music to soothe my soul.  Classical 89 radio (BYU): "Escape to a Place of Peace and Calm" CD, including Reid Nibley on piano.
7:38 PM 6/23/2013  I'm grateful for God's mercy in helping me retrieve a flash drive that fell out of my pocket this morning in [church] ...
11/28/2013  I am eternally thankful for my Savior, Jesus Christ.

I recall a favorite Old Testament scripture I see as giving thanks:
Psalms Chapter 23
“(A Psalm of David.) The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul ...
... thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me ... my cup runneth over.”
KingJamesBibleOnline.org

On a personal note: thank you
The who, what and when of expressing gratitude”
By Jeanne Field
“...  The hardest part ... is just starting it.”
hallmark.com/thank-you/ideas

The long-overdue thank-you
Reaching out to someone who made a difference in your life”
By Suzanne Heins
“You can’t beat expressing gratitude with a pen and paper.”  [handwritten notes imagine that!]  hallmark.com/thank-you/ideas

A feast of notes
Our Cannon family has a tradition of group singing after dinner at Thanksgiving gatherings; (so I take a break from eating, before going back for thirds – not a time for fast food, folks!)  Typically the traditional hymns, plus several sheet-music arrangements.

A Song of Thanks
“Thank thee for the world so sweet; Thank thee for the food we eat;
Thank thee for the birds that sing; Thank thee, God, for everything!”
lds.org/music/index/childrens-songbook; words: Anon.