Friday, January 31, 2014

My 40-year Secret

It's not like I tried to keep it a secret for 40 years.  You won't believe it till you try it a few times, but it works!
I learned this secret from a mission buddy, Kent Lambert, the best life insurance salesman for "the quiet company" (not so quiet now.)  It has consistently worked to simplify my life.  Through 40 years of using it without fail (except maybe once, out of compassion), I revealed it to only a few close friends.  Now I am sharing my secret with the world (I estimate three or four lucky enough to see this:)

When a salesperson attempts to start or close a sale,
you say, "I prefer not to."
When he/she asks why,
you reply, "I prefer not to say."
Salesperson is left speechless; a friendly farewell ensues.

Operate on a need-to-know basis; a sales rep doesn't need to know that you're broke, afraid, repulsed by him/her, or whatever.  If you say the usual "not interested", that means you don't yet have enough information to appreciate the incredible value of the product or service being offered; so it easily proceeds from there, following the manual.  The “prefer not” words may need to be kindly repeated for salespeople who are hard of hearing, forgetful or unbelieving, so be nice and repetitive (no extra words) as you make your answer perfectly clear and concise.  Try the secret next time you’re in a luxury-car showroom, for practice; (be honest – you ARE interested in the Ferrari.)  Incidentally, if you want to buy, just say yes.  No fear.

The language is fast.  It is food for thought if you do sales training; (trust me – "it ain't in the manual" – I’ve never met a salesperson who has a prepared response for it.)  You will have total confidence as you fearlessly meet salespeople and answer telemarketing calls, knowing YOU are in control. By the way, since learning the secret, I have generally loved to be a part of good salesmanship at work, and have gained a wealth of knowledge from those professionals, whom I respect.  For their fine companies and shareholders, it is value-added work.  For me, it’s free education without trepidation.

There you have it.  Of course, always follow the Scout Law (seriously):
“A Scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, COURTEOUS, kind, obedient, CHEERFUL, THRIFTY, BRAVE, clean, and reverent.”  – scouting.org  (all-caps for my emphasis)