Saturday, February 22, 2014

My Three-story Hut

Looking back, it was the biggest, ugliest backyard structure one could imagine.  As I envisioned and built my three-story hut over several years, one story at a time, it became a boy’s play world to be envied.  Our backyard on 2nd Avenue (SLC) was second to none … behind an old home originally built by a pioneer, mostly torn down and rebuilt by my father.  It was like a field of dreams where I spent endless hours as a young boy working hard at having fun. 
The northeast section of the yard had little or no landscaping except a big apple tree at the north wall, shading a huge sandbox and tree house that Dad built for us kids.  An old log wall, probably built by a previous pioneer owner, separated this frontier from the lawn to the south, and was the beginning as a sturdy support for the hut.  (In one of Kay’s heavier albums we have a photo of my hut with a younger brother and me looking out of second-story windows above the “great wall”, and a sister riding the pony nearby … a future addition to this post.)
Built with old wood and nails saved from the original pioneer home, it was low-budget (more like no-budget) construction, free from power tools, building codes and inspectors … except maybe my father making sure it didn’t collapse on a child.  The third story was made of lighter-weight wood which could easily blow off in a high wind, but which reduced the risk of crushing the rooms below.
On the northwest section of our backyard was a pony house and fenced area for the … (you know it.)  In between the pony property and frontier was a big lawn where my friend Lassie roamed and did his thing which I was responsible for cleaning up every week.  One year we had a lamb using that pasture … more cleanup.  The southeast section was the asphalt raceway for our rugged tricycle and wagon to do wild, endless laps around a long flower bed and clothesline.  South of that was a big drive-through garage with wide back doors, perfect for delivering lumber, etc. for additions I helped Dad build on the back of the house as the family grew.

The way my hut was built makes me wonder – without a plan, using old materials full of cracks and holes, and nails that took time to straighten out by patiently hammering, sometimes hitting my fingers … what was I thinking?!  I won’t call it a metaphor for life; (Google defines as “a figure of speech …”).  Hopefully it didn’t set a haphazard (G defines as “lacking any obvious principle of organization”) pattern for my life, but a dream-come-true that gave me self-confidence and the joy of carefree fun.  Youth -- married life with children -- empty-nester … a wonderful three-story life that cannot be compared to my three-story hut.  However, I do need to reinforce that third story before a high wind hits.