Monday, March 10, 2014

Daylight-Saving Gain/Loss

My eyes were opened to a different way of looking at Daylight Saving Time.  Last Saturday night, as DST was to begin a few hours later, I complained to Kay that we were about to lose an hour.  Trying to give me a hard time, she explained that, on the contrary, we would GAIN an hour when we “spring forward” and ADD one hour to our watches, and Verizon adds an hour to our iPhones automatically.  So it depends on how you look at it!  Oh boy – what a revelation.

On the other hand, imagine being born March 8th and losing an hour the next day, and not gaining it back until you started crawling six months later? As a newborn, maybe a "morning person", would you want to lose an hour of glorious daylight at the dawn of day, so you could gain an hour of glaring sunshine in the evening when ready for bed?  That may put DST into perspective.  (Are the folks in Arizona lucky or what?)

Trying to illustrate my view Saturday night, I proposed, “What if DST began in the middle of our three-hour block of meetings at church, and suddenly we were compelled to leave after only one or two hours?”  I knew that would make it perfectly clear … but how would my wife handle the loss?