Sunday, April 27, 2014

Law & Light, Look, Live Life

My memory fades, especially short-term.  However, with memory aids I am able to remember a lot.  (It also helps to put things like car keys and a worn wallet in the perfect place every night.)

For example, a scripture I read a couple weeks ago has become dear to my heart, especially on Easter last Sunday.  As I was reading the verse, an alliterative memory aid instantly came to mind (words with the same initial sound – in this case, the same letter): law & light, look, live life.  I had a feeling I should easily memorize the two short sentences – something I hadn’t done for many months.  It also helped to visualize the entire simple scripture.  The reference is easy for me to recall: an odd number (three) of odd numbers: 3, 15, 9.

On my profile list of favorite books is found the Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ.  In this chapter near the end of the book, we read about our Savior, Jesus Christ, visiting and teaching the inhabitants of ancient America following His resurrection.  (Third Nephi 15:9)
"Behold, I am the law, and the light. Look unto me, and endure to the end, 
and ye shall live; for unto him that endureth to the end will I give eternal life."

I was pleased to find purpose provided in "The Power of Scripture", a 10/2011 General Conference address by Richard G. Scott of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles: 
"Great power can come from memorizing scriptures. To memorize a scripture is to forge a new friendship. It is like discovering a new individual who can help in time of need, give inspiration and comfort, and be a source of motivation for needed change."