Friday, May 9, 2014

Summer To-do List

Gearing up for intense summer yardwork, I get ahead of the power curve by making a muscular list.  You should've seen the list I got for spring!  (My wife Kay loves to use 'em.)  June is just around the corner – aaagh!!  Neighbors are already in high gear.
(Some items on this list are out of order … out of control, actually.)

Eat two breakfasts plus three meals per day while reading; visit with Kay.
Drink gallons of water and lemonade.
Mow.
Water.
"Weed & feed" (Kay's favorite app.) – memorize instructions.
Poison worst surviving weeds one at a time – not the gardens.
Spread fertilizer without weed killer, in a poncho during light rainfall.
Inspect lawns for weeds; compare with neighbors' perfect, green lawns.
Dig and pull weeds; (I learned that includes grass where you don’t want it.)
Bike one-half mile or more (in cool fitness center) ($5 DI exercycle) after siesta.
Plan summer retreat from yardwork, hoping automatic sprinklers work and lawns survive weeds and scorching sun.

(See Genesis 3:17-19; thorns afflict our home – thistles invade the ranch.)

Remember: An ounce of ... no, make it a hundred pounds of prevention is worth 1,600 pounds of cure (if I converted correctly for this, not troy for gold and silver, which I may need a lot of.)

And that is only the beginning; (personal prayer, scripture reading, meetings, weeding for widows & ward garden, and various service projects are all on my muscular-Christian list – seriously.)
I could go on and on, but the yards are begging for attention now till the day I'm free from it all.

“Sunrise, sunset” – may the days of yardwork “swiftly flow”, and may the “seedlings turn overnight to sunflowers “, not weeds!
(Quotes from “Fiddler on the Roof” Cast Lyrics)