Thursday, June 19, 2014

The Worth of a 50-cent Paperback

It was not what I was looking for, if there were anything I had in mind.  I sometimes like a quick walk through a book aisle at Deseret Industries thrift store to spot a rare copy of Nauvoo Panorama, if not for the exercise.  Small books attract me, as we are trying to lighten our load.  (So why do I keep acquiring? she asks.)  One I found two weeks ago caught my attention with a price I could afford – $.50, which is extraordinary in a DI book department.  I also serendipitously bought a 50-cent video tape about the beautiful Nauvoo, Illinois; but I digress.  Circumstances yesterday prompted me to start reading (in the middle of) the paperback: To Draw Closer to God – a Collection of Discourses by Henry B. Eyring ©1997, Deseret Book, SLC.

Titled in gold on a dark olive-green cover, and having a fresh smell inside (although musty can be nostalgic for me), the book came with a personal touch, which I like to count as added value: a laminated bookmark from the “6th Ward Bishopric / Bishop Clark, Bro. Cox, Bro. Andersen”.  Black and red on ivory, it had a design like the 1930’s, presumably retro, including a favorite scripture: “Draw near unto me and I will draw near unto you; …”  Season’s greetings followed: “With warm Christmas wishes and our hearts full of love towards you, we pray the coming year will find you closer to God.  As did Wise Men anciently, may you also seek Him that He may always be near.”  One would assume it was given with the book, as the same scripture (D&C 88:63) was printed on the back cover.  The bookmark was left in the middle of Chapter 12 (of 15): “Helping a Student in a Moment of Doubt”, as if the previous owner almost finished reading (or re-reading) the 200-page book (including Index.)

The part I randomly turned to first was Chapter 7: “Trials of Faith” (by chance?)  I have heard there is no such thing as coincidence maybe true.  I am certain that God knows our needs, and helps man search for happiness.  My standard bookmark, a used envelope I can write notes on, ended up on page 86 with this quote by Elder Eyring:
“When you’re experiencing a severe trial, ask yourself this question: ‘Am I trying to do what the Lord would have me do?’  …  I bear you my testimony that the Lord will always prepare a way for you to escape from the trials you will be given if you understand two things.  One is that you need to be on the Lord’s errand.  The second … is that the escape will almost never be out of the trial; it will usually be through it.”  So pray for deliverance accordingly.

Recalling a few of our trials, I know I can get more than my 50-cents worth by following the advice – priceless!