Thursday, February 5, 2015

Positively Dispositive

Words are fun.  With words, we learn something new every day – how exciting is that?  I started talking when I was 3 years old, and reading at 6 – no hurry.  With today's technology, toddlers start having fun with words at 18 months.

Editing a document for an attorney friend yesterday, I was stopped by a word I heard him use the day before: dispositive.  In context, it still left me clueless: "dispositive issue decided by the Supreme Court ..."  
I theldom thumb through my dusty dictionary, now that Google defines: "relating to or bringing about the settlement of an issue or the disposition of property.  
LAW: dealing with the disposition of property by deed or will.
'... signature after making the dispositive provisions'
dealing with the settling of international conflicts by an agreed disposition of disputed territories.  'a peace settlement in the nature of a dispositive treaty' "
Positively aha!  Of course – why didn't I think of that – not what I first thought it meant.

Find a good word today!

Time running out looking for LOST words like WEEDS in Anthem Arizona 2 July 2014 

Sedona Arizona caution sign 30 December 2014