Sunday, May 3, 2015

30-acre Weed Patch

As a young boy, on some mornings I woke to Daddy’s inviting me to “the ranch” for a horseback ride.  It was typically when I was out of school for the summer, and very early in the day so he could still get to his downtown office on time.  He had purchased the barren property and the little old farm house, I presume for an investment, as it was conveniently located south of the Salt Lake airport, a promised land for commercial development. 

Our horse property was blessed with a canal running through it, providing me with my first experience building and floating a raft.  Like our backyard at home on Second Avenue, it had a supply of old lumber that was also begging to be used for a play house.  Rafting was great fun, but my grandiose architectural plan for a two-story house was a dream not realized beyond the first floor – without walls.  However, I worked hard at it for a time, and saved the plan for a future opportunity.  If someone had thought to take a photograph of it, I could post it, and laugh or cry.

My parents’ friend stored an antique fire engine there in the garage.  I also recall dating his daughter Janet in high school; we probably discussed her dad’s hobby of collecting old fire engines.  One January, my uncle had his Scouts collect their neighbors' Christmas trees, haul them to “the ranch”, and build a monstrous fire at night under the flight path; it probably alarmed some guys in the control tower nearby – not to mention pilots and passengers.

When I was ten years old, Dad sold the 30 acres for a profit, and acquired a real ranch – a bigger, productive property to the east of Salt Lake City.  He moved the horses there, and established a comfortable summer home in its old two-story farm house by the canal, where I ... (another series of stories.)  Since then I have lovingly referred to the first ranch as our “30-acre weed patch,” and treasured the memories of early-morning adventures riding the range with my father.


South of Salt Lake City International Airport, courtesy Google Maps