Monday, October 26, 2015

Halloween Peak of Holidays? Piques Interest

It's a question I addressed years ago.  Is Halloween the peak of the year-end holiday season for most people, or just ten million of us?  Seeing yard decorations all month has piqued (excited) my interest again as I wonder if the increase is a peek into the future – a trend – or just a fad.

Retailers have passed the prime time, obviously; just take a peek at the Walmart garden department – it's Christmas next (my favorite) while I look forward to Thanksgiving.  Now I'm probably the only one who hasn't yet stocked up for trick-or-treaters.  However, I am piqued (angered) by the urbandictionary.com definition: "Greedy annoying kids who dedicate October 31st to looking ugly ..."  I disagree!  Where is the love?

Although my thrill over Halloween peaked when our kids grew up, it still brings back fun memories of meeting neighbors as I followed youngsters around East Mill Creek.  Now I just hope for leftover treats, since our children are gone and won't be sharing with their dad after the walking tour.

So I hope this satisfies loyal readers who have waited several years for a post to pique their interest in the homophone as a type of noun:
"each of two or more words having the same pronunciation but different meanings, origins, or spelling, e.g., new and knew."  – Google defined.

Happy Halloween and holiday season!



One of "Three Amigos" 10/24 (brothers not shown)