Wednesday, May 11, 2016

“Battery exhausted”

My personal electronic devices are so smart, warning me to recharge. Before shutting down after working a few hours, they have just enough energy to alert, “Battery exhausted.”  As a user, I quickly respond.  At the end of the day (or a night’s work,) I too can feel it.  As an aging human, I recognize the need, but struggle to recharge myself – response not so quick.

Solar, grid, and car power do it for them.  Sleep, food, change of activity, prayer, reading, and good music re-energize me; (Google defines the verb: “give fresh vitality, enthusiasm, or impetus to.”)

One of my favorite movies is Chariots of Fire (1981.)
[In the UK] "... determined young runners train for the 1924 Paris Olympics. Eric Liddell (Ian Charleson), a devout Christian born to Scottish missionaries in China, sees running as part of his worship of God's glory ..."  – Google.
As a guest and athlete in Paris, Liddell delivers a Sunday sermon at church during the Olympic Games, quoting from Isaiah 40:29-31.
"He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength.
Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall:
But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."