Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Affected by Aphorisms

There must be a reason I forgot the meaning.  Is it my advancing age or my declining memory?  Or is it because I never wrote about aphorisms in six years of blogging?

“An aphorism is a short, pithy statement containing a truth of general import.”  – dictionary.com

"Aphorisms can sometimes be humorous, but are not necessarily so. They often have some parallelism or juxtaposition to make the point, such as in the example of Lord Acton’s famous quote 'Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.'
Common Examples of Aphorism:
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. –Lao Tzu
A rolling stone gathers no moss.
Better safe than sorry.
Early to bed, early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise.
Every cloud has a silver lining.”
– literarydevices.com

As I view them, the writings of William Shakespeare (1564-1616, Stratford-upon-Avon) are richly aphoristic.  (See Romeo and Juliet.)

Now I recall being affected by aphorisms in grade school and later in life.  Some helped me gain wisdom and inspiration along the way.  Others just tickled my funny bone to help me bear life’s burdens.

I could add more examples and explore the importance of aphorisms, but you can take it from here.  Remember, “Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.”  – Benjamin Franklin 
(Thanks to brainyquote.com)


a wise grandson fishing for fun in UT


granddaughter wisely loving literature and music in AZ