Sunday, February 26, 2017

Stops Me Warm

My favorite radio station, Classical 89, has a weekly "Friday Favorites" program so listeners can choose their favorite music for everyone to hear.  One man recently described an experience hearing his choice: Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 5, Emperor.  "I have experienced a few times when a piece of music 'stops me cold', and this is one of those."

I can relate; except with me, those times literally "stop me warm".  Take Grieg's Piano Concerto (1868), for example, aired 6:23 AM yesterday.  I knew it shouldn't stop me from working, but like other times, I was overcome by that feeling … like warm sunshine streaming through the window on a cold winter's day.

Without fail, when Symphony No. 3 in C minor ("the Organ Symphony", 1886) nears the end, I am compelled to stop and feel the full impact of "... arguably Saint-SaĆ«ns's greatest single composition."  – theguardian.com/music

A piano piece by Chopin that my young daughter played is gone, but the memory is still warm in a melancholy way.  And how can I forget piano concertos by Sergei Rachmaninoff?  Why does such moving music stop me!  Words in this fast-language format cannot do them justice, but the Spirit can whisper volumes.

Too often the warmth is gone, but for me it's never lost.  I beg every day, “Bring back that lovin' feelin’ …”  (song first recorded by the Righteous Brothers in 1964)

Cannon Family piano dated 1873, warmed by winter sun in 2017


Kay & younger daughter with piano played by both in East Mill Creek antique room