Saturday, July 17, 2021

Profound Effect of Time

Having finished scanning (digitizing) my sweetheart Kay’s Treasures of Truth (both heavy albums thru summer of 1970), I pause to ponder ... what it all means to our five children and me.

In her book Writing Your Life, Lou Stanek teaches, “Time has a profound effect on our emotions, understanding, and writing style.”  For example, she suggests a look back after seven years allows greater perspective than writing your feelings immediately after a car accident or family death.  (Nevertheless, my journal writing around the time of Kay’s passing is a precious link to remind me of God’s mercy and miracles since then.)


Encouraging the reader to find ideas for creating a memoir or novel, Stanek hits home with, “If you haven’t noticed the stories lurking in the family photograph album, you haven’t been paying attention.”  In my race to scan pictures, programs, and letters, I take short breaks to read and share, but fail to notice many lurking stories.  However, it is fun to see photos and names of Kay’s many boyfriends (and girlfriends, of course).  Oh, how love and time affect us both.  I could write a book!