Monday, August 22, 2022

Hot Summer Titles

What were your favorite books this summer?  I saw numerous titles about the season.  The one I bought and shared with neighbors was The Foxes Five, a fun children’s book by Angie Mee, illustrated by Katie Costley.  It reminded me of family camping adventures with our five young children.  “The perfect book to read on a summer day in the shade of a big tree,” Finn commented.  (Disclosure: Kay & Ned are the proud parents of Katie & Angie.)


It was a hot summer here in Ogden Utah, and we seniors felt entitled to spend time reading indoors instead of mountain climbing (except twice) and biking (once was enough).  Occasionally looking out the window at hired landscapers was all the yard work we did (except five weeds I naturally pulled and my three mums I watered).


Our activities leader chose The Nightingale for our community book club.  The historical novel about Nazi invasion and occupation of France was incredibly researched and written by Kristin Hannah.  So detailed and sad, it was a struggle for me to read (especially the cold winter ordeals) to the surprise ending.  Glad I did, however.  Next hot summer, I will choose a children’s title again for easy reading.