Sunday, December 10, 2023

Christmas Choirs Too

This one is for music lovers, with excerpts from a 2012 post.  As Christmas music has blessed my life, today's choir practice brought to mind some great choirs I’ve enjoyed in the past, and a heavenly choir I’ve read about, which blessed the scene of our Savior’s birth.  What are favorite choirs you sang in or listened to at Christmas time?


In 2012, my wife Kay liked this suggestion: East High School A Cappella Choir, which reminded me of Christmas performances I loved with my EHS choir directed by the legendary Lorraine Bowman.  Years later, Kay sang in that choir.  She could have also mentioned the Northridge High School choir our daughters sang in.  We enjoyed their 2012 concert (with orchestra) which ended with a thrilling rendition of the Hallelujah Chorus from Messiah (1742) by Handel (1685-1759).  The annual concert always brought joy to us ... and certainly to the performers.


The jacket of a vinyl LP (with a 50-cent DI price tag) found in our basement “archive” lists the members of the Brigham Young University A Cappella Choir 1980.  I enjoy their Christmas music this month on BYU's Classical 89.  One album I am sure must exist would go with Kay’s CD, "Angel Voices -- Libera in Concert" recorded May 30 & 31, 2007, in a Netherlands cathedral.  I haven't heard their Christmas music, but it’s on my wish list.  The boys’ choir provides a heavenly listening experience that would lift anyone’s spirit this season.


There’s more I could add here, but this will do for a fast one.  Suffice it to say, “I’m crazy about choirs!”  So … Merry Christmas, and have a happy choir experience!