Friday, April 22, 2011

Earth Day Recalled

To honor this cool Earth Day, I have the furnace turned down, lights off, and the shutters open for warm sunshine.   I try to conserve words and time by avoiding verbosity.  These tidbits (M-W Dictionary: choice morsels) from my 20th-Century files will help me recycle and preserve memories of Earth Day:
The BSA merit badge book ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE, 1983 revision, explains on page 5:  “It is the space age and all that goes with it that have made an understanding of ecology very important to us all.”  The Careers chapter on page 61 (incorrectly as 63 in Contents) advises, “Before deciding … you should ask yourself three things:  Do I really like science?  Do I like the outdoors?  Do I like people?”  The careers list includes agronomists, plant morphologists & pathologists, horticulturists, forestry technicians, entomologists, geneticists, oceanographers, and fishery aides.
On the 1991 survey conducted by the Earth Day Utah Recycling Subcommittee,
I noted, “Many people don’t understand ‘waste to energy plants’.“  (Maybe hyphenation would’ve helped.)
Earth Day Fair was held at Trolley Square in SLC, April 19-21, 1991.  A contest for
K-12 students was entitled “Previously Loved Materials”.
Earth Day Fair 1992 was at Valley Fair Mall in West Valley City.
“K.O.P.E. Kronical” by Hawthorne Elementary students (Kids Organized to Protect our Environment)
In 2007, KeyBank ran an ad:  “Win $5,000. And save a tree. Enroll in Online Statements …”
Google did a cool logo, and some local news stations talked about Earth Day this morning -- nice token recognitions of a huge need to “protect her!” (child’s paper drawing anonymously posted on our garage door last April 22nd – worth filing and sharing, I thought at the time.)