Friday, January 6, 2012

Attention to Detail

As I plucked a tiny piece of paper wrap from melted butter on my leftover peas, I was impressed with the attention to detail and the sign that I’m not going blind in my old age (as much as I thought.)  However, losing sight of big over-arching matters (“… the forest for the trees”) can impede real progress, and result in being out of touch with reality.  There are many pros and cons.
On the bright side, I just noticed a plastic insert protruding from the front edge of my laptop, where I discovered an SD card reader I'd forgotten was there.  It must have popped out when the computer fell on the floor last night when I wasn’t paying attention in the dark; (I won’t go into embarrassing detail about how that happened, or how I've been using my clunky old SD card reader that plugs into USB.)
Is it a pathway to perfection?  Consider the possible pitfalls of being a perfectionist, including OCD and anti-social behavior.  Nevertheless, organization does matter, such as recording contact information in an efficient, easy-lookup way, e.g.  (Mobile handwriting on back of receipts, where contact info goes nowhere, just didn’t work for me, so I changed in 2012.)  Important meetings and tasks can be remembered by meticulously following a TO-DO list.  At the store, I like to double-check Kay’s shopping list before returning home to her loving arms; (she’s delighted when I get it right.)
I have this lingering doubt about Dockers pants instructions to “Wash garment inside out.”  What about drying?  Could “wash” refer to the entire laundry process?  Is drying outside-out (my preference) bad, as good, or better?  Can consumers sit back and simply overlook possible ambiguity or lack of vital information?  It’s a consequential question that designers, editors and manufacturers should take seriously.  (Gulp!  I bit off more than I can chew with that one -- not very fast.  Sorry.)