Saturday, July 12, 2014

No Place like Home

Several weeks of helping our daughter with her family in Arizona – not my wife’s original idea of summer vacation from school teaching – turned out to be a joy, hard work, and a hot time in the new town alright.  Although Anthem is often over 100 degrees during the summer, we were fortunate to see the beginning of the cloudy monsoon season, with daytime temperatures sometimes dipping below 100 – so cool (loved the cloud patterns.)

Getting better acquainted with four grandchildren (including a fun ten-year-old helper from SLC), being amazed by unstoppable-grandma Kay's taking care of every need, early-morning wake-up calls (my favorite time of day), quiet walks around the block with a happy baby boy, picnic in the duck park, family home evenings well organized by devoted young parents, word games I never win, great cooking, all-you-can-drink ice water, community pool, friendly neighbors, church meetings in a wonderful ward, a new temple soon to be open, freedom from yard work, and (last but not least:) lively, artistic, gorgeous little girls!

After all that, for which I am grateful, this thought came to me on the way back to Utah: there’s no place like home.

And hey! – summer is only half over!  More fun!

Part 2 – just for future reference to remind myself before traveling:
Without mentioning what's missing at my favorite old motel in Kanab, Redrock Country Inn, I can think of a few things about home that I appreciate more now:
Food in the fridge that I can heat in the microwave.
Vent fan in bathroom; 2nd bathroom for myself.
Quiet room away from noisy fridge.
VCR, VHS tapes, and old radio.
Secure WiFi network.
Care-free walking barefoot on carpet.
Plenty of electrical outlets with ground (3-prong).
My own kitchen cupboard for reusing items not ready for dishwasher or recycler.
An old-fashion way of turning off a noisy A/C (unlike the remote I discovered next morning on the motel desk.)
A place for everything, and everything in its place; no need to pack bags, load car, unload car, and unpack bags every day.