Sunday, July 27, 2014

Keeping One's Sanity

Our favorite beach town for a relaxing getaway is not a well-kept secret, though we wish it were.  So, to help keep the crowd down in the Northwest, we avoid revealing it, except to a few close family and friends who are not likely to travel that far anyway.  However, one young couple, close friends we’ve loved since nine years ago, developed a habit of vacationing there every year, and loving it.  Who knows how many people they’ve shared the secret with.  (I recently learned that what my English teacher taught me is a myth: avoid ending a sentence with a preposition.  
– quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar)

In 1982, I bought my first personal computer (a 28-lb Osborne “portable” with 64K memory, if my own memory serves me correctly; Google has sweet images!)  A wise young accountant friend of mine, Rich T., came out to East Mill Creek and helped me design a spreadsheet for our family budget.  I never forgot this secret of success he shared with me:
“Regularly budget money for entertainment … to help keep your sanity, because without sanity {repeated to avoid ambiguity}, everything else is in vain.”

Holding hands, quiet walks on (we think) the longest, most beautiful sandy beach in the NW, scenic surf, romantic night fire roasting hot dogs out there alone under the bright stars, relatively few tourists, extraordinary food and fascinating shops in town (I love the used book store, which struggles to survive the digital age) … reading & sharing wisdom literature, little if any TV delightful digital detox. It was all there again last week, and well worth the price!

For low-cost sanity preservation, we love the local white-sand beach on Antelope Island, and (at no cost) the 4,400-acre Great Salt Lake Shorelands Preserve with boardwalk, especially in summertime.  We thank God for providing such beauty in nature.  You, too, can sing your own “There’s a Place for Us”.