Monday, August 11, 2014

Notepad & I or Me

Tough decision.  This is about my favorite computer accessory and me, you see.  Notepad and I have a long-standing love affair since 1996.  Kay and I got it on a new PC with Windows 3.1, a crude attempt by Microsoft to copy Apple's amazing GUI (graphic user interface) I'd used for custom production since the late 1980's.  So, undecided about the title, I include both personal pronouns.

Lean and mean, Notepad frees me from constant attempts by programmers to correct me, shape me, and otherwise force me into their ideas of what writing should be.  I prefer free-form writing without bells and whistles to distract the user.  Thank goodness for a word processor that does not process me to death. Furthermore, Notepad takes text from anything that can be selected and copied to the clipboard memory, and removes the ... (what's a nicer word?) – codes and stuff I don't want.  Notepad and I can then copy the clean (ASCII standard) text to Word, website builder, blog, e-mail or whatever.  My favorite keyboard commands (another subject for another post) keep hands where they belong, not straying to reach for a mouse unnecessarily.  Old-school, but faster and easier for some elders who are slow to abandon the good old days.

Notepad is searchable and transferable (1996 files open in Windows 7, and I assume on Win8.)  Great for documenting family history work and keeping a journal (F5 key inserts time & date.)  Way better than a typewriter or phone! Oh, and did I mention its lightning-speed launching & saving, and leaner file size?  (I grow old waiting on Word.)  Sorry, Microsoft – I don't need or want your cute Sticky Notes.

As a team, Notepad and I are a work in progress, as is this post.  If I had a photo of us together, the caption would read (my standard :)
"Notepad and me".  How sweet it is – like icing and the cake!