Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Smart Philosophy Too

One of the more colorful characters in our family's life is Rowland Smart, our East Mill Creek pioneer “blogger” to whom I introduced my readers on April 1, 2012 (no fooling.)  Although "Rowly" passed on, I use the present tense because I'm sure he is livelier than ever, probably coaching deceased parents and grandparents on how to raise their kids who struggle in this mortal life on earth (Smart language).  As previously noted, Rowly never married or had children, but somehow knew the secrets to happiness in marriage and family life, as he (at around 90 years old) often shared them with us, along with farm artifacts and vegetables from his garden.  Maybe he continues to reach out, prompting us from the other side; (we need all the help we can get.)

Brother Smart’s November 1992 monthly message he wrote (and had me type with limited editing) for his friends and neighbors, titled “Why I’m So Thankful to God”, was evidently handwritten on Sunday 9/27/92: “I want to share my feelings this day Sept. 27th as I walked out of the church house.”  Four full pages without margins – backside of old company ad-letter prints I’d given him.  He and I avoided wasting paper and money on our publishing projects – he only paid to photocopy my computer printouts.  I was fully compensated with fruits and vegetables.  (Side note: my 11/3/2013 “Smart Gratitude” post shared his November 1988 message, featuring a story about his “patrolling one of the Utah Power & Light high-voltage transmission lines” and meeting a homeless man.  From my “Smart Philosophy” file folder today, I randomly picked one written four years later on the same topic – maybe Rowly is trying to tell me something.)   

“… as I walked out of the church house.  I looked up at the head of Neff’s Canyon and Mt. Olympus.  …  Looking at that beautiful calm sight made me feel how close God was …  I thought of the 33 years I walked and skied over the Utah Power Company system …  Thanked God for the strong body he gave me that I never got tired.  I traveled each day 15 to 20 miles … one day was 56 miles … came out at Lava Hot Springs, Idaho.  …  The many rivers and creeks I’ve crossed on cable crossings.  …  They were high above the creeks and canyons; I never looked down, for fear of getting dizzy and falling off …  You know He is with you …  At times of grave dangers, that little voice has warned me of the danger and gave [given] me the right feeling … to save my life …  Now I’m old and still alone in this world.”

“Remember to take time out in your daily chores and play, to look at the beauty of this Great Earth and its living things … upon this great creation He has made for you and I [me] …  Thank Him for it, and all He has gave [given] to you, both health wise, and everyday life wise.  – Rowland Smart”