Saturday, October 11, 2014

A Complete Aside

This one is not about English language, though I’m tempted to vent frustration over changes since my young sentence-diagramming years; (yes, I still wince – “a slight  involuntary grimace … in anticipation of pain or distress”, as Google defines it.)  “I've gotta be free ... I've gotta be me!" (the song does it to me.)  Furthermore, I am not naming the students at our favorite high school (with the "kneeling knight") who fail to understand present progressive tense.

And it’s not about food, even with another coupon-drive story waiting in the wings; (grandkids in the car bring back fun memories of our five we took to a string of drive-through fast-food restaurants in “the Buck” or “the Wart Hog” – a fun tradition to be repeated soon, I hope.  Yum!)

This post is not about the Church, through which instruction from modern-day prophets was broadcast to the world last weekend – so needed in this turbulent time.  Nor does it relate to genealogy (family history – another favorite of mine) as a fun activity to develop a forever family.  As a side note, I am registered for RootsTech 2015, to be held Feb. 11-14 at the Salt Palace Convention Center in Salt Lake City, Utah.  (rootstech.org: "Celebrating Families")

As a complete aside, it's free to share random, unrelated thoughts, observations and experiences, maybe starting an annual, tangential tradition for this blog’s anniversary month.  Liken it to a brief (always fast – the one constant here) pause on a sidetrack while the freight train of the world roars by.

Clearing the basement the other day (still struggling with OCH, but making progress), I was excited to find one (TIME, June 6, 2011) I had not yet read about “The Science of Optimism”, which gave me a needed break, asking, “Hope isn’t rational – so why are humans wired for it?” by Tali Sharot.  Wish I could legally copy the cover, a whimsical diagram of the brain.  (So that’s what it looks like inside my head! – explains a lot lately.)

I see room for two more disjointed items; (Google defines as “lacking a coherent sequence or connection” – kinda like this complete aside.)
My Notepad has one from 11/15/2012: Fox News interviewed Joseph Braude, author of The Honored Dead, in a discussion about Iran.
(See book info. at josephbraude.com/books/the-honored-dead/overview/)
He used the kith-and-kin phrase referring to people in neighboring countries, in relation to disenfranchised Iranians (non-Persians).  So what are your plans for gift-giving and entertaining kith and kin this holiday season?

Finally this one, noted 5/5/2014, will wait for a passionate post by itself: “Getting High on Classical”, referring to music I dearly love  – can’t get enough of it!  But I digress.  I should quickly throw in a couple pics that are a complete aside in their own right, having no connection with the collection in our basement.