Monday, November 10, 2014

Like Precise Language

Last Saturday my sweetheart and I watched a less-popular movie at a low-price theater.  We liked The Giver, based on the book Kay read and didn’t like.  “Boys like it better,” Teacher said.  In my 4/14/14 “Lighten My Load” post, I wrote: “… reminds me of hearing Lois Lowry (age 77, award-winning author of The Giver and 39 other books) describe a dystopian society that had lost all of its technology – a nightmarish tale!”

A recurring reminder by “the Elders” in charge and the sheepish people who follow the bad rules, is to “use precise language”, which “in this community, is not precise at all but rather is a language in which the meanings of words are intentionally unclear. For example, each family unit participates in the 'telling of feelings' every evening. This sharing is ironic because the people don't have any feelings. They gave up their feelings when they chose Sameness. Another word that is ironic and not precise is 'Nurturer.' Jonas' father, a Nurturer, is supposed to be a caretaker of infants. He does care for infants, but he also kills them.”  
– CliffsNotes
www.cliffsnotes.com/literature/g/the-giver/critical-essays/style-and-language-in-the-giver

So if I spoiled it for any of my five followers who have not read the book or seen the film, “I apologize.”  (Another recurring line recalled.)  I feel for you.  Better blame it on Cliff, not me.  Regardless, rent the movie next year, and don't get too political.