Friday, November 7, 2014

Memories in Family Tree

Trying to understand the big picture, not just the how-to of Memories, I remain in the dark.  One of the FamilySearch presentations I am editing for our local family history center was written by our expert, showing two kinds relating to placement (as I see it) in Family Tree: “Tree and Person Memories”.  It lists the four types of Memories: Photos, Documents, Stories, and Audio (new addition!)  I get the types, but not the kinds.  Examples and navigation are shown, which really help one learn how to do it.  Google searches find a ton of news, updates and explanation, but not the easy-to-swallow capsule I want.  Meanwhile, I continue to help patrons navigate the Memories process.

Am I just slow or what?  I have been in love with computers since the dark ages (60's), but have approached this as a beginner.  The Powerful Point [sic] is to teach patrons and new staff, many older than I, who know little about the new programs and may be uncomfortable with computers. Any youth or older expert would wonder, “What’s your problem?  It’s perfectly clear!”  Right.  (Maybe a two-hour seminar is in order. RootsTech 2015, here I come!)

Clear and user-friendly are the names of my games.

Discover Memories of Your Ancestors
Check to see what photos, stories and other memories have been added to Family Tree and make a surprising family connection.” 
FamilySearch.org


Photo I took of NPS museum exhibit at Ellis Island, New York Harbor


Sperry Univac History image array, courtesy of Google