Monday, December 1, 2014

On Route 66 at My Age

My wife was determined to drive on it yesterday.  Stopping at a Flagstaff McD, 
I asked a bearded elder where Route 66 was.  Looking surprised that any old man would be so clueless, he pointed at the main street and replied, "You're on it right there!"  Sure enough, we soon found signs that confirmed it.  Kay’s phone is so smart, it found a historical-narrative audio about a Route-66 Flagstaff resident whose business barely survived after the freeway bypassed the district. He became a leader with a lifelong passion for promoting Route 66 as a tourist attraction.  So special – I wish my phone could find it; (can’t see in 164,000 results that her PC got today.)  However, I did learn a bit about the famous road 
I associate with my youth: it is actually older than I am!

"Route 66 is synonymous with the classic American road trip, and that carefree spirit is still alive in Flagstaff today.  When Route 66 became a highway in 1921, Flagstaff was established as a popular stop on the iconic highway.  ...  Now Route 66 has become firmly established in the annals of Americana.  The lore of the road paints romantic pictures of a simpler time.  ..."
– www.flagstaffarizona.org/route66

With a satellite signal beaming down on Route 66, two romantic U alumni enjoyed listening to BYU Radio SiriusXM – Christmas choir music and talks on gratitude.  We are grateful for family, for the privilege of visiting them last month in warm weather, and for a safe return to our simple frontier home.


Thanks to our Arizona family for a great "diner" party, and to Kay for fun cake!


66 Motel sign: "Get Your Kicks on Route 66"