Monday, February 15, 2016

Notable, Never-ending Notepad

As Windows 10 operating system was being developed, there must have been discussion at Microsoft about how to reinvent or replace their old text editor called Notepad.  (I’m speculating after decades of observing their culture and using the products.)  Opportunity for a new name or extreme makeover?  It's so ancient, clean, simple, and easy to use despite numerous limitations, it must be disdained by sales & marketing departments as an embarrassment.  Naturally, Notepad lives on with Windows 10, with a cleaner look (white top bar and narrower border) because it has not outlived its usefulness.  I can just see the exec's eyes rolling after the minor touchup for packaging Notepad with all the exciting new stuff he/she sees as light years ahead of it.  Why doesn't everyone use Sticky Notes (like Post-it notes people used to stick on their monitor.)

I love Notepad!  Unlike MS Word and others, it's lean and fast, opening and saving instantly like the stock McD 99-cent, plain cheeseburger when I'm on the run.  Since 1996, this obscure program has been my most faithful digital companion, especially for stripping away unwanted formats and codes.  One little learning curve, that’s all.  As with our 6-in. ruler letter openers, I keep counting the ways it makes my life work.  No embarrassment about clean and simple at my age.  If I live a few more years, I may proudly be the last Notepad user standing – a survivor of software wars/nightmares, programmer dreams come true, and waves of learning curves with everything except Notepad.  Like riding a surfboard instead of being battered to death by the waves, life with Notepad is on the fast track when I want to catch one, and on smooth water when I rest at ease.  At home on a lonely country road as it is on a busy freeway (carriageway or motorway in UK.)  Sharing Notepad with others, I brag about its virtues and uses.  Don't look for any news flashes or marketing of this hidden gem; it’s free of all that noise.  Notepad text is searchable and easy to copy into any word processor, spreadsheet, blog, or other social media.  Use it for journaling, short notes, long notes, to-do lists, documenting genealogy, copying website text, writing blog posts and books, etc.  As Google describes, "a boring image, but scratch the surface and it's fascinating."

Proof of Notepad's simplicity is in Windows 10 – the missing manual, a 676-page book by David Pogue, my favorite tech reviewer who always makes me smile.  He only takes one-third page to describe and teach how to use Notepad; good news for seniors and three-year-old prodigies.  “You’ll quickly discover that Notepad is the world’s most frill-free application. Its list of limitations is almost longer than its list of features. … Above all, Notepad is a text processor … The beauty of text files is that any word processor on any kind of computer – Windows, Mac, Unix, whatever – can open plain text files like the ones Notepad creates.”  (Windows 10 … ©2015 by David Pogue, pages 328-9)

Notably, the little dynamo is seriously underrated and underappreciated in a cloudy world stuffed with overrated, overvalued, flashy software.  There – I've said my peace/piece.  By 2020, when I write my personal history with 20th-century text files copied by a smartphone publishing app, I will have proved my point.