Monday, November 28, 2016

35 Days Until ...

My credit union online just reminded me it’s Day-5 of “Black Friday specials” (actually Day-4 in the mortgage department store).  Is anything on the market not discounted by now?  Having started with stores open last Thursday (still known to many Americans as a day of Thanksgiving), this is becoming the longest-running Black Friday in my memory. Imagine how much money I could have saved by taking advantage … (sigh) … water under the bridge, except for today, "Cyber Monday."  But no, I’m not gonna go there – can’t afford to save, and need to shovel snow that's falling.

Looking ahead, I realized we have only 35 days until New Year’s Day. Now that’s exciting – think about it, and be prepared!  I will celebrate this Christmas season throughout those 35 days and beyond.  (According to Cannon tradition, our family enjoys it till the end of the "Twelve Days" on January 6th – a wonderful way to extend Christmas gift giving.)

“Friday 6th Jan, 2017 will be … [Epiphany]
Celebrating the day upon which the three kings [wise men] arrived at Bethlehem [and gave gifts to infant Jesus], Three Kings Day is twelve days after Christmas day, and marks the end of the Christmas period.”
– daysoftheyear.com

So you see, there are plenty of shopping days left – more than the market leads consumers to believe.  Not to mention after-holiday specials.  A relaxing thought for Day-5, I think.  Lights, camera, party on!

Familiar to many, this cute reminder got my attention at a Walmart store 11/23/2016, before Thanksgiving.


At the nursery on Halloween 2016; Google defines poinsettia: "... popular as a houseplant at Christmas"


Christmas collection of fast food at our frontier home 2014