Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Eighth Grade

If there is one year of my K-12 school experience that is worth writing about here, it has to be 8th grade at Bryant Junior High (now Bryant Middle School) in Salt Lake City, where Kay and I grew up, married, and raised our children (in SLC, that is, not the school :) 

Starting junior high in 7th grade was a frightening new world, but by the 8th grade I was settled into the seven-period, daily routine with lots of homework every night using my bug-free, antique typewriter.  And great friends!

The neighborhood walk-to-school gang met M-F every morning at the corner of “I” Street and 13th Avenue for our long trek downhill  typically very humorous, as I recall Craig.
My special group of friends at school – not the popular elite, but my favorites for boy-girl parties including slow dancing (think "Blue Velvet")  really made 8th grade my favorite.  One special young woman took me to the formal, adult ball in the Salt Lake Masonic Temple (Wikipedia: SLC’s “best example of Egyptian Revival Architecture”) – a different experience for a sheltered Mormon boy!
After-school dances were mandatory in the gym with lots of “wall flowers” watching from the sidelines  not so fun.

I recall witnessing "greasers" fight with chains in the back alley, which also served as the shortcut to the Fernwood ice cream parlor on South Temple for my regular after-school treat: a double-scoop ice cream cone for 25 cents.  Then the hike uphill, carrying more books than I would actually use, was a challenge especially in "freezing blizzards," as I could describe to my grandchildren.

A few of the most memorable teachers and classes:
Mrs. Webb taught me the valuable lifetime skill of typing; (years later it evolved into keyboarding.)  Speed was the big thing in that class, a favorite.
Mr. Neeley, the tough Social Studies teacher, found a knife hidden in a student’s back (waistband).  After that, I never dared to carry one to his class!
Coach Caputo taught us men to box "with finesse," as he said, to show confidence and expertise.

I still see farewell notes in my 1963 Chronicle, the school yearbook (oops – a clue to my age), for example:
“Ned, It’s been fun in English. Have a good summer and Good Luck next year. 
– Maurine.” 

Sweet!