Friday, September 22, 2017

Tech Blessing & Curse

Life before 1982 was so easy.  My cordless typewriter started up instantly. No device recharging necessary.  It got me through school, mostly with A's.

Soon our world changed.  I loved my first portable PC, purchased in '82 with the hope it would empower my business decision making as the traveling salesman promised, but I struggled to get a printer working with it.  The 64K and 5-inch monitor worked fine for me.  (Wish I had kept my first typewriter as a backup.)

Computers and I share a long history; I won't add details in this fast post. It's sufficient to say, for Kay and me, technology is a blessing and a curse. (She used a lot for school teaching and grading, as you can imagine.) Maybe we're not alone.

Why do I bring that up?  I write right now on a new laptop PC without a mouse or working mousepad since it quit an hour ago.  After turning the machine off and restarting, which is a reliable fix on other devices, it went from a frozen pointer to no pointer ... like it's getting worse.  So far, I'm getting by with a keyboard; if that quits, I'm done.  Fortunately I used computers for years before the mouse was invented and software started moving users away from the keyboard, where I've always tried to keep my hands in home position as I was taught in 8th-grade typing class.  Keyboarding, as the name evolved, is so simple.  Amazingly, despite that programmers' mentality, many keyboard shortcuts still work for me!  The younger generation has no clue to what they're missing.  Seriously -- how would life (as they know it) go on without a touch screen?

Thank goodness for the Internet.  We email, Google-search, and get around with Gmaps.  The Church programs at the office work great for our Michigan Detroit Mission.  If we had our router with us, and paid $50/month for Internet, I could write this on Blogger from anywhere in our little apartment and post it without going to Dunkin' Donuts or the office. (Yes, I've done it here at home with a tablet and iPhone "with data", but my mobile skills are too limited.)  Whatever.

How I miss my big black clunky typewriter.  They just don't build 'em like they used to.