Friday, June 14, 2019

Street Language

Having lived in Utah most of my life, I take our street names for granted.  Since returning to Ogden after twelve months in Michigan, I am reminded of how unique they are in this city.  According to Ogden history I read, credit goes to Mayor Kiesel, who renamed the streets in 1889.  For example, Bingham Fort Lane was changed to 2nd Street.  (A local friend helped me find the elusive 1st Street.)

The historic heart is 25th Street, which runs east from the famous railroad station.  I figure it’s the equivalent of 23 city blocks south of the older 2nd Street, so it wasn’t named Main or Center.
Also known as ‘Two-bit street’ or ‘Historic 25th’, ... this street's development got under way after the construction of the original Union Station on the west end of the street in 1889.  ...”
– planning.org/greatplaces/streets...

When we lived two years on Tyler Ave in east Ogden, Kay and I became better acquainted with US presidents’ names (as preferred by Mayor Kiesel in 1889, apparently).  My favorite has always been Taylor Ave (12th president), where my Rich ancestors lived.  I felt they were aware and continuing to influence me.  Lots of love there.

With the new addition of a FamilySearch Center across the street from the temple and “kitty-corner” from our apartments, I felt compelled to research (a common word at FamilySearch) the origin of that street language. 
The word “kitty-corner” has many different variations: catty-corner, caddy-corner, cat-a-corner, or kit-a-corner. They all mean the same thing: something that is directionally diagonal from a certain point.
Interestingly, despite all of the “cats” and “kits,” the word has nothing to do with domesticated felines. Rather, it stems from the word cater-corner. Cater is an English dialect word meaning “to set or move diagonally.” It is derived from the French quatre, which means “four” or “four-cornered.” The word quatre was first introduced to the English as the word for the number four on dice, and was promptly anglicized to cater.
— todayifoundout.com
(subtitled, “FEED YOUR BRAIN”)

Trivial stuff, but since I’m constantly sharing the good news about our new addition, kitty-corner from my home, I wanted to know what I’m really saying.  Sorry — I don’t treat street language lightly.