Tuesday, December 3, 2019

“Get Away Today”

The imperative pitch for a trip to Disneyland as seen on the frequent flyer accompanying my last credit union statement (what I’d miss if I went paperless).  The deal: If I “get away today”, I will get an “extra day free”!  (Truth is, I prefer an extra day free at home.)  Questions: Get away from what? Why? Is it escapism or wise investment to preserve sanity and create precious memories like my wife Kay often did for our family?

The tempting cover of Via magazine received today for Jan-Feb 2020, the new year already: 
“Must-see treasures and hidden gems” at historic Golden Gate Park.  So many things I “must see”, it’s hard to decide how and when that will happen.  Not yet on my “bucket list”; we’ll see.

To simplify, I decided a year ago not to travel.  Subject to change, of course, when our children invite me (or a dear friend needs help moving to Portland).  Last October we met halfway in Liberty Missouri for a baptism — so sweet!  Elder & Sister Cannon, my brother and his wife, attended in support.  Next summer our family outing will be in the great state of Arizona, which I love; I will drive, taking my time (and more pics) to see what Kay & I missed in 2017.  No plans for 2021, but I’m thinkin’ Brigham City, Utah (recalling our vacation there for Kay’s spring break a few years ago); I can see myself going 25 miles each way via UTA.  It will be fun.  Maybe my mind is changing ... to get away once every year, but not today.