Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Hanging Up

Scanning a mixed batch of stuff with iPhone before recycling, I reviewed an old book on time management which applied to my business.  Sometime after 2010, I had tagged a page for my blog.  Challenges in life are different now, and with texting as my preference over phone calls, this applies even more:


“You can be efficient in handling your phone calls without being deficient in courtesy. Remember the ancient proverb: ‘Talk on the phone unto others as you would have them talk on the phone unto you.’ ... [Assume] we’re all very busy.”  I’d say, “Keep it short and succinct.”  (NOA Dictionary defines as “briefly and clearly expressed”.)

(... Time to Do It Right ... c.1990 by Jeffrey J. Mayer — apologies to the author for abbreviating his super-long title, and thanks for the helpful book.)


My wife Kay, “Wonder Woman” on (and off) the phone, learned it well at age 14 on a three-year mission in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.  (Recall my “Talking to Strangers” 3/31/2014.)  Confession in contrast: at age 16, I was scared to death of phoning a girl for a date.  I’m sure my calls were painfully short, and my parents never counseled me to spend less time on our limited landline.


Hanging up on a fast mix of management advice and family history.