Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Break for Christmas

For a little diversion from work, I dug into my WWII-standard file cabinet to grab December journals.  Although I'm still trying to fit everything "worth saving" into it, I still love my well-organized, legal-size "tank" with five full drawers.

With Andy singing, “It’s the most wonderful time of the year” (so true), I found some 1987 entries I’d like to share with my follower, who understands my quirks.  (Thanks to calendaryear.net/1987 for days of the week.)

Tues. 12/15  Kay & Spencer delivered Christmas stories and gifts.
Wed. 12/16  Kay read us a great Christmas story.
Fri. 12/18  [Sons] still wanting me to set up train.
Sat. 12/19  Helped [sons] set up train in [bedroom].  Family to theatre: "Here's Love" ("Miracle on 34th St.") with Gordon Jump --at PVP. [Promised Valley Playhouse in downtown SLC]
[Searched history and found:]
Orpheum Theatre, Promised Valley Playhouse -- 132 South State --
1905, Carl M. Neuhausen, SLC (a German-born architect who planned several well-known Utah buildings, including The Cathedral of the Madeleine and the Thomas Kearns Mansion.)
--www.utahheritagefoundation.com/pdf/downtown/NDH.Tour.pdf

Tues. 12/22  [With in-laws] at Hale Centre Theatre [in old SLC building, to see] "Scrooge" (excellent!)
Thur. 12/24  Christmas pageant with Evans in stable [in NSL, I guess, not Boulderville].  Dinner at Evans' -- enjoyed a nice long visit.
Take to ranch: "Lullaby of Christmas" and Christmas music ... Vit. C ...
[Googled to find my favorite:] "Lullaby of Christmas" 1948 LP recording narrated by Gregory Peck.  [Result:] Our Vinyl Records Music List --
LP Loretta Young & Gregory Peck The Littlest Angel And Lullaby Of Christmas Decca Records DL 78009 1948 VG/VG Holiday Visual Grade ...
-- www.ourvinylrecords.com/pages/GSTEXTLIST.html

Friday, December 25, 1987
Breakfast.  Happy excited children!  Enjoyed reading book Curtis gave me:  Three From Galilee [: The Young Man from Nazareth, c. 1985] about young Jesus growing up. 
[Google found:]  Marjorie Holmes's fictionalized retelling of the life of Jesus covers a period overlooked by the Gospels - the "lost years" between age 12, when Jesus debated the elders in the temple, to the age of 30, when he actually began his ministry.  -- www.amazon.com

We all ate tons of candy & snacks.  (Surprised we didn't get sick!)

12/8/10  I enjoyed my "fast-food" lunch break with red&green&white-frosted pretzels, "Chestnuts roasting ..." (radio), and loving memories of good times.  Give yourself a break for Christmas!