Monday, December 13, 2010

Next Simple Set

Last Friday my first four "Simple Suggestions" included:  remembering Jesus, sharing joy, Santa Claus (giving), and family traditions.  The next set is not in any special order --kind of like my shopping plans.

5. Enjoy food!  (I knew you were looking for that.)
In our own little Cannon family, we have always loved the Christmas morning feast, especially grapefruit, before presents are opened.

6. Do your shopping before 6:00 pm Christmas Eve.
I learned the hard way several years ago, as I drove home from work on Christmas Eve.  Having waited for last-minute specials, I panicked when stores were closing their doors in front of me as I drove into the parking lots.  True story!  Lucky for me, it was before the Twelve Days which end on January 6, Kings Day (Epiphany).  I love that tradition my mother promoted.  She opposed the popular practice of cutting Christmas short.

7. Take pictures/videos for priceless memories.
I must find my VHS tape of Christmas 1996, with our daughters in our cozy Hobbs Creek home; that alone is worth the $95 spent on a used two-pack video camera.  And I'd love to dig into the archives for those photo prints of our three sons eagerly opening their presents in our East Mill Creek home.  Happy days!

8. Sisters, read Christmas stories to the children, including your husband.
Brothers, be tender and loving; help keep the peace.  Remember Luke 2 (our favorite).

May you have joy, and some healthy Christmas goodies!