Friday, January 7, 2011

CES in LV, NV

How I wish I were there!  Believe it or not, I have never attended CES, which started in June of 1967 (after I got interested in gadgets.)  CES (an initialism) herein refers to the annual Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas this week, not the Church Educational System (as in CES Firesides).  So I am looking forward to next January, even if the Argentina-Brazil cruise has to be postponed another year (jk).

CES is where "technology firms show off the latest gadgets and gizmos, while giving a sneak peak into futuristic devices. This year's show is expected to feature 2,500 exhibitors and 110,000 attendees."
Yesterday at CES a popular band performed in front of a huge screen showing "a live 3-D shot of the performance."  -- washingtonpost.com
( I'd love to do that in a home theater with our grandchildren!)

I was interested in the history of the show, including these devices copied from the "Products that Debuted at CES".  -- cesweb.org/aboutces.asp#734
Videocassette Recorder (VCR), 1970  [a key component in our home today]
Laserdisc Player, 1974  [Luckily we skipped over that one.]
Camcorder, 1981   [ I wish!] 
Compact Disc Player, 1981  [Recently found a new $40 player in garage!]
Digital Versatile Disk (DVD), 1996  [It still works on the $30 player gift.]
High Definition Television (HDTV), 1998  [one of our big goals for 2011]
Microsoft Xbox, 2001  [Now jump to Kinect!*]
HD Radio, 2003 [would be great for home], and Blu-Ray DVD, 2003
3D HDTV, 2009  [ I don't think so.]
Tablets, Netbooks and Android Devices, 2010  [Want to learn about tablets!]

*As an example, Kinect remains a hot item in 2011.
"During Balmer’s [CES] keynote speech, the CEO revealed that Microsoft has moved nearly eight million Kinect units globally during the holidays."  [into retail, for 2 months]  -- January 6, 2011, by Mike Ferro -- gamer.blorge.com
[The fastest-selling videogame hardware]  "Kinect™ works with every Xbox 360 and gives you new ways to play."  -- Xbox.com/Kinect

By the way, I don't play games; but I like to know what's out there for serious trading!