Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Peaceful Settings

These are a few of my favorite places that renew my spirit and bring me joy.  Memories of quiet, beautiful settings in my past and present are like warm, loving embraces from close friends and family.  They are places of inspiration where I have felt close to God, and have received needed comfort and strength.  Naturally, most are outdoors, where His handiwork is plainly seen and enjoyed.  I can go to these places anytime I choose, be uplifted, and stay within our travel budget.

Our remodeled EMC (SLC) living room (off-limits to child's play), where I loved to sit by the warm heater vent in winter

Cannon Beach, Oregon, as we walked on sand, holding hands, from the Stephanie Inn to Haystack Rock at sunset

Laie Hawaii Temple (especially peaceful inside)  -- "Surrounded by lush Hawaiian flora on a gently rising hill that features cascading pools and a large fountain, ... [it] graces the north shore of Oahu just a half mile from the Pacific Ocean."  -- ldschurchtemples.com/laie/
And the USS Arizona Memorial in October, 2007

Ensign Peak, overlooking Salt Lake Valley -- (My follower will remember Saturday 6/7/08.)

Carmel Lagoon, Carmel-by-the-Sea, California -- a beautiful turnabout on our '71 vacation -- (Words cannot describe!)

Zion National Park, where I had a "mountain-top experience" while lying on the grassy valley floor, looking up at the blue sky surrounded by "soaring towers and monoliths"  -- utah.com

The "H" Street living room and oil painting of the lush green meadow with a cozy cottage in the background

Lake Powell -- a paradise in the summer of '70, like a different world!
Rainbow Bridge National Monument -- "the largest natural bridge in the world ... considered sacred by the Navajo culture as a symbol of deities responsible for creating clouds, rainbows and rain -- the essence of life in the desert ... One of the natural wonders of the world"  -- utah.com

Peaceful settings are my comfort zone.  Do I need to get out of my comfort zone more often?  Perhaps.