Saturday, October 26, 2013

Getting Better With Age

It seemed so far away … when I was young – getting old, that is.  Over the last 18 months it crept up on me sooner than I expected.  Twelve months ago, I never wanted to do yard work again, except to help elders (older folks, not the Church office) with their yard next door.  After last summer’s work, I’m convinced.
This month as I researched senior living, I realized something amazing: I have graduated to feeling “old at heart” and loving it.  The benefits are more than just discounts at movie theaters and my favorite all-you-care-to-eat buffets.  I am better able to empathize with elders who struggle with unemployment, loneliness, depression, physical aches and pains.  I am a better man for having newfound patience with young people who ignore us and misunderstand us.  I rejoice in being an empty nester with greater freedom and motivation to help others; (my wife Kay and I look forward to serving another mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.)  The 55+ communities are looking better to us – maybe they have improved with age (jk). Facebook? – we can take it or leave it.  More time and freedom to travel; (and more ease with freestyle writing of incomplete sentences without a verb.)

First opened in 1911, the famous Hotel Utah in Salt Lake City began its expansion in 1974.  The publicity theme for the project was “Getting better with age."  In 1993 it was rechristened the Joseph Smith Memorial Building, “in honor of the Mormon church founder …”  -- deseretnews.com (June 7 2011, “100 years” article by Ray Boren)  It continues to get better with age; (check it out by Temple Square, next time you’re in town!)

This quote we’ve all read is one of my favorites: "Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter."  -- Mark Twain  (from brainyquote.com)

I missed my blog’s third anniversary a week ago – still pretty young (the blog, not I.) This post is done … for today; it will get better with age.  Expect expansion. And exciting discoveries in this new old world.  Any ideas?
Downsizing?  Lightening our load?  
Renting a cottage for next summer (three months) in the Isle of Man?  Now that's getting better!