Saturday, October 12, 2013

Short (Quick) Anecdotes

Last Saturday I Googled (searched Internet): define anecdote
Result: “a short and amusing or interesting story about a real incident or person.”
(Google’s definition instantly appeared at the top of 1.1 million results!  Amazing.)  As examples, several stories quickly fit in here.

I have listened to KSL NewsRadio traffic reports since 2007, when I started a job that took me out on the road a lot.  Rikki Meece, a superb young reporter, has always made me smile with her crystal-ball traffic forecasts – typically, "the crash is GOING TO BE ..."; (makes me wonder WHEN.  Of course if I’m headed away from the predicted trouble site, the time doesn’t matter.)  To be fair, her fine reports have helped me avoid some bad traffic over the years, making KSL’s annoying background sound effect worth enduring; (mercy!)  I often hear similar predictions – without the ominous consequences – in retail stores, where a product I’m searching for “is GOING TO BE on aisle 9” or wherever; (without asking the worker "WHEN?", I trust that it WILL be there by the time I arrive.)  By the way, I predict many retailers are going to be disappointed at Christmas time, due to the US government shutdown; but we are going to enjoy the true holiday spirit regardless of the economy.

Part of my second post is worth repeating:
Fast Food, Coupon Drive                        October 22, 2010

When my wife and I had young children to feed, we had a favorite activity and fun family tradition called the "coupon drive".  We collected fast-food coupons, then drove around town ordering, dividing, and eating one or two of a single item at each drive-thru.  The workers often felt sorry for us buying so little to feed the six or seven of us.  After about eight stops, we were stuffed!  This enduring tradition would not be possible without fast food.  Our youngest actually wrote a report on it for school (using fast-food language, of course).  Since then, the words "coupon drive" always bring back fond memories.  I can hardly wait for the next one!
May you enjoy the drive, however you do it.
And a little healthy fast food.