Wednesday, January 14, 2015

"Quite honestly, ..."

I listened to a popular radio talk show this morning for ten seconds (an average sound bite.)  The guest began a thoughtful answer with this 
two-adverb phrase: "Quite honestly, ..." 
Laughing out loud, I responded, "Does that mean not totally honest, or what?"  Where does it fall on the scale of slightly honest to 100% honest?

In the political arena and on talk shows, you never know.  I guess that's one reason listeners/viewers keep coming back – to seek clarification.

Another thing in the media: seldom is heard a simple "yes" or "no" answer to a yes-or-no question.  Yes, that disappoints me.

Like I say, it's a guessing game ... and reminder that some leaders need to be clarified.  But don't expect me to illuminate, elucidate, or shed light on the subject.

Kay and metal art 29 December 2014, at the working home and
campus, Taliesin West, built by Frank Lloyd Wright in 1937


A straight answer worked wonders in the architectural arena.