Wednesday, January 21, 2015

State of the Stretch 2015

My world is aging, climate changing, and "2014 was the warmest year on record!"  (Stretching a point, Mr. President?  Remind me not to go there – too much warm air in DC for me.  I had a meeting, and missed the … Union talk last night.  Granted, he’s right – cynicism like mine is not progressive.  Sorry.)

But this is about how I need to stretch for physical health.

Finally found in garage on my early-morning winter "walk": my PWP ("Personal Wellness Profile") report, custom-printed just for me in 2000 by BeneCor.  A belated thanks to them for caring.

Let's see ... just checking ... what should I have done for the last 14 years?
1. Stretch three to five times to warm up after muscles are warmed (?!).   (Putting socks on after lying in a warm bed is two.)
2. Do a “static stretch” three to five times.  (I’m good with static.)
3. Two days per week do “dynamic weight resistance training and calisthenics” for “major muscle groups.”  (Right – forget the minor groups.)   (Strength was marked "Needs Improving", which I've known since I got married and quit skiing 3x per week, summer and winter.)
4. Maintain a healthy “body composition.”  (Was marked "Doing Well" despite 90s settling.)
5. Aerobic walking.  (Did today – to garage, mailbox and stairs – that’s a stretch!  I prefer the warm mall.)

There’s a lot more to it ... maybe for next January.

What one word would you use to describe this “state of the stretch” address?

Family walk by a mountain cabin 2 Aug 2013


Stretch exercise at Surf’n Swim 26 Dec 2009