Friday, January 23, 2015

Stories to Bring Us

Maybe I was just slow, but with persistence I found it – downloadable PDF and the fill-in-online version (the choice for long stories.)  “The new My Family: Stories That Bring Us Together booklet is a resource that you can use …”  
– broadcast2.lds.org/elearning/…
lds.org/bc/content/ldsorg/topics/my-family-booklet-pdf/english-whole-pdf.pdf?lang=eng

The brilliant presenter at our Layton family history center last night made it sound so easy.  “Just go to FH consultants and download it.  Use the unlimited online version to write long stories.”  That was it.  She was right.  I trust the mental exercise did me good in my old age – better than saving time with how-to YouTube videos?  (Examples at youtube.com/user/FamilySearch)

[Fumbling around with Google is how I found this:]
familysearch.org/campaign/myfamily
“Fill in online version:
Transfer information from your existing booklet or start fresh and create a new booklet online.”  Clicked: Get started.  (Yes!!  You should see what it pulls from Family Tree when you sign in!)

I won’t print the 38-page PDF to save buying the limited paper booklet for 50 cents at our FH center, but it helps to see on screen what’s in it.  Of course, one could use an unlimited number of ten-cent notebooks to “Write your stories and memories about your grandfather.”  But the online “booklet capture tool” is so easy, it’s a no-brainer for an elder like I … and others who minimize handwriting and/or duplicate entry (transcription.)

First thing, possibly on the train to RootsTech 2015, I will type in the book a story about my distinguished, white-haired grandfather Cannon taking me for a ride to west-side SLC to see the trains when I was a young boy.  As I recall, we toured the tracks – just the two of us in his big black sedan, probably a Buick (a classic, unlike my father’s Buick wagon.)  Grandfather (“Pop”) must have known how I loved trains!  Strange that I lose countless memories, but always remember this one.  (Write more!)

As a young married man, I sat on the front row at his funeral in the Twentieth Ward chapel.  I cried with love for my grandfather.  Many are the memories that bring us together.

Our friend, Brother D.L., inspecting his backyard train after the ride 9 Sep 2011