Friday, March 6, 2015

Snipping Tool Simplified

Last January, I e-mailed my good friend these simplified instructions for using the Snipping Tool on PC with Windows 7:

1. Ready
2. Get
3. Set
4. Go

It works!  If you have a handle on using this power tool, you gotta love it!
Not so easy for me on Windows 8.1 – we struggled with it today at a client's office; (help!)  Always more secrets cleverly hidden by programmers to create a progressive, new look-and-feel; (a pet peeve of mine.)

P.S.: Some added detail may help those who haven't used the tool before; (maybe I should send this to my friend, in case the above didn't do it:)
1. Ready with image to capture on screen.  2. Get tool: click Start (lower left) or press Windows button; if S.Tool doesn't appear on frequent programs, type to Search: snip (or: snipping tool); find and click Snipping Tool to launch it.  3. Set by framing the image with mouse cross starting at top left (I prefer), and holding mouse button while moving to opposite corner to complete frame; release button; (if screen is not in faded mode by default (New), click New in little S.Tool box.)  4. Go with snipped image (automatically saved in temporary clipboard memory) to Paste in Word doc or e-mail, and/or Save As (name) PNG or JPEG<(best) file type for future use.  Simple as that!

Here are a few of my sample snips from 2014, for family history and fun:



I saved as (file name): Word2010-menuReview_Comments&TrackChngs

Saved for fine food & one typo; love his ads on KJUL-FM oldies radio (kjul1047.com)