Sunday, March 15, 2015

Two-and-a-half-minute Talks

Three minutes would have been too scary for me – more than a shy boy could handle at age six, I guess.  Whoever created the 2.5-minute talk for junior Sunday School must have been sensitive to that.  Two minutes was manageable; another half minute was a stretch to help us quiet kids grow.

I remember giving my first talk in jSS (a home next to the 20th Ward "amusement hall"), standing in front of a big room full of children.  I don't recall the topic – only how frightened I was.

It must have been a growing experience, as I have accepted a few more scary assignments to talk since then.  My wife Kay and I move around a lot to different wards as members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; occasionally, we are asked to speak in sacrament meeting and introduce ourselves. Fortunately for me, Kay is always first and so well prepared, she is able to fill most of our allotted time, leaving me about two and a half minutes to read a scripture, testify of the truth, and say amen to her fine sermon.  Seriously, the gospel is true!

East Ensign Ward Sunday School class  13 December 1942
Live Together in Love / A History of The Ensign Third Ward, ©1981, Salt Lake City, p.59
(Click pic to enlarge, then press Esc to return to post.  Recognize anyone?)