Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Mission Release

As I have said on many occasions, our original release date for our 23-month assignment was July 13, 2019.  We had planned to visit Kirtland Ohio on the way “home”, and arrive in Utah July 17th or later.  Sister Cannon & I left the Michigan Detroit Mission August 12th to receive treatment for her stage-4 pancreatic cancer — a surprise several days earlier.  We were honorably released August 15th by our stake president in Farr West, Utah.

Having sold our home to serve a mission, being homeless without property to concern us was a blessing during and after our 12 months in Metro Detroit.  A miraculous three-month lease provided the perfect “dream cottage” for Kay in east Ogden, September through November.  Filled with love, it was an adorable gathering place for family and friends.

Four years younger than I, our Kay passed away October 6th ... to her new mission assignment (as I see it).  I know my forever companion is eagerly engaged in the Gathering ... “on the other side” (in Paradise), with her special kind of love.  She is an amazing missionary!  As I said last May, Kay continues to be a strong, loving influence for our posterity, dear friends, and me.  We have not lost her.

Expecting to finally feel released after July 13th, I marked my calendar months ago for a kind of “homecoming” celebration.  It turned out to be nice and low-key: meeting with an old friend and business associate who works for FedEx, and writing personal history on my blog.  Fun family activities earlier that week were naturally part of our mission-end observance.  Our children and I surely felt Mom was aware of it all ... with her loving smile.

Nevertheless, I will continue to study and share the good news of the gospel of Jesus Christ.  It goes on — feeling joy together in the work ... forever with love

Detroit Riverwalk – rest stop for Sister Cannon
with a view of her beloved Canada, 28 May 2018
our Utah "dream cottage" home, 11 October 2018
(a peaceful rest stop before going on to new assignments)