Saturday, July 27, 2019

Shared Space

Noted while riding the TRAX train in Salt Lake City on our anniversary: Recording reminds passengers, “Be considerate of others. Remember, this is a shared space.”  (Next reminder:) “Please hold on.”

My thought I wrote at the time: The Earth is a shared space, as are our country, state, city, and home.  And we certainly need to hold on ... through rough rides ahead.  Recall an old saying, “Hang on for dear life!”

So, how do consideration and “shared space” relate?  What do they imply?  If fellow passengers think their music delights others around them ... or if someone believes his normally loud talking is naturally blocked/ignored by neighbors, what do they take from that reminder?  Fortunately, other UTA (FrontRunner, TRAX, and bus) announcements instruct, “Headphones are required” and, “Keep conversations low.”
I like to think most people care ... if they’re aware.

(Rhetorical question:) In a shared space, how much consideration should go without reminding?

Aware of my sensitive hearing inherited from my mother, Kay was considerate in our shared spaces at home, in church, and in her cute car — heavenly, as I recall (and miss her sweet voice).  I’m grateful for the majority who are consistently considerate of others, and I am thankful for good neighbors.
After all, “it’s a small, small world ...”

 going to share FrontRunner space in Orem, 5 Sep 2015